Genesis...
[jen-uh-sis] –noun, an origin, creation, or beginning.
Origin:1595–1605; < Latin: generation, birth < Greek génesis origin, source
In truth, I don't even know where to begin. In exposing my thoughts, my words, my life, I risk leaving myself vulnerable, open, stripped. I pull out the stitches and bear to you the scars, the dreams, the beliefs, the hopes, the fears, the humour, the discoveries, the mistakes, and so many facets that comprise my being. Anna Nalick describes it well in the lyrics she wrote for 'Breathe (2 AM)':
"...And I feel like I'm naked in front of the crowd
'Cause these words are my diary screaming out loud
And I know that you'll use them however you want to"
I suppose you must expose yourself to a certain degree of vulnerability in order to create the invitation for someone to truly know you, but there must often be a reciprocation of risk to still that fear. Perhaps this is my modern diary. This is me, naked in front of the crowd. Please excuse me if, at times, I feel like covering myself up a bit..... or a lot. I might just wrap myself in a towel or go as far as zip myself up in a parka, hood up and all, Eskimo style.
To laugh is to risk appearing the fool,
To weep is to risk appearing sentimental,
To reach out for another is to risk involvement,
To expose feelings is to risk exposing your true self,
To place your ideas, your dreams before the crowd is to risk their loss.
To love is to risk not being loved in return,
To live is to risk dying,
To hope is to risk despair,
To try is to risk failure,
But risks must be taken, because the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing.
The person who risks nothing, does nothing, has nothing, is nothing.
He may avoid suffering and sorrow, but he simply cannot learn, feel, change, grow, love or live.
Chained by his servitude, he is a slave;
He has forfeited freedom,
Only a person who dares to risk is free.